She's Still My Baby Sister

It never occurs to me how close I am with my family, until I meet someone who isn't. I love seeing my family, spending time with them, and hearing from them often. When I tell my friends I talk to my mom everyday, and my sister and dad at least once a week, and they look at me weird, I get so confused. To me it is so normal.
Yesterday my sister calls me because she was having a bad day. all she said was I need my big sister. I was immediately in big sister mode. "Whats wrong?" I asked. She tells me that she was just having a really off day and needed some "sister talk time". I called her as soon as I could and talked her through her emotionally draining day and when we finally hung up I felt so happy. Not because she needed my advice, or because it was me that she chose to talk to over her mom or friends. I was just happy for the relationship that I have with her.
I love being able to drop everything and run straight to my family when I am upset. I also love that they know that they can come running to me when they're having problems as well. I hope that everyone gets to feel this way with someone even if it isn't a family member, because if it weren't for my "people" (Grey's Anatomy reference) then I would be stressed out and emotional all of the time.


Comments

  1. I get what you're talking about. As an only child, I don't have a sibling, but I am super-close with my parents. I speak with them nearly every day... sometimes multiple times a day. When I hear people talk to their folks once a week (or less!), it SHOCKS me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, how wonderful you are so close to your family. Nothing like having a sister you can confide in and trust. I loved this line: Not because she needed my advice, or because it was me that she chose to talk to over her mom or friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Experience

"I Got This Feeling"

Reminders of my goals